Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Isabel's Journal: 12-7-15 to 12-27-15

December 7, 1915

Today I have met another member of the Brooke family.  I was soothing Anika’s seasickness when I heard a barking noise.  When I looked up, I saw Mrs. Brooke fussing over a large bag that contained something alive!  When she saw me looking, Mrs. Brooke grimaced and said, “”Tis our golden puppy.  We kept him hidden for we fear pets are not welcome on the ship.”  “What is his name?”  I asked her.  “Goldenblaze,”  she answered.  “I have a pet too,”  I told Mrs. Brooke quietly. “Would you allow Anika, Caroline, and Sam to meet my cat, Ivyheart?”  Mrs. Brooke agreed.  I brought Ivyheart over to the children.  I gave them all some beef jerky and taught them how to feed my cat.  Ivyheart had quite a feast tonight, for the children kept insisting on giving her more and more beef jerky.  Finally, Mrs, Brooke told them to stop.  I told Anika, Caroline, and Sam to give the remaining beef jerky to Goldenblaze, and I let Ivyheart settle down for the night.

December 21, 1915

Three weeks have passed, and many people are starting to get sick.  I do not feel very well myself.  I have heard whispers, the slightest hint that a ship fever is going around.  I pray that at least no one I care for will become sick.

December 24, 1915

Today is Christmas Eve!  I have shared all of my beef jerky with Mrs. Brooke and her family, but today she surprised me with some fresh bread and ale!  When I ask her where she got it, she said, beaming,“Tis because of you!  The ship’s captain had some, and he took favor to some of the rice cakes you gave me!  I saved them.  He decided to make the trade!”  Her eyes were gleaming.  Mrs. Brooke, the children, and I had quite a feast.  ‘Twas the best Christmas I’ve ever had!

No comments:

Post a Comment