Wednesday, February 15, 2012

HeatherClan Book: Chapter 7

Chapter 7: A Secret Love

Fernpaw padded out of the apprentices den and headed toward the dirtplace. Nobody even looked at her.

When she got out of the dirtplace tunnel, her heart raced. She was going to meet Sparrowpaw!

On the way, Fernpaw caught a couple mice.

If I don't go back for such a long time, they'll think I'm up to something, she thought. I might as well hunt a bit.

She finally got to the StormClan border. "Sparrowpaw?" she mewed. "Where are you?"

Suddenly, Fernpaw saw a patrol. Quickly, she ducked behind a bramble bush.

"Mouse dung!" she hissed when a thorn got stuck in her pad.

One of the patrol cats' ears perked up.

"Did you hear that?" Fernpaw recognized Snaketail's voice.

"It was probably a squirrel," meowed another cat.

Sparrowpaw! thought Fernpaw. She tried to look through the bramble bush, and saw that Sparrowpaw was looking around. He knows I'm here!

Right then, a bramble got stuck in Fernpaw's fur. She tugged on it hard, over and over again, until it finally came loose.

But then, she flew backwards and landed with a muffled thump.

"There's definitely somebody here," hissed Flameclaw. Thinking wildly, Fernpaw snatched up a small rock and threw it as far as she could...and it landed in a nearby creek! Instantly, all the StormClan cats turned toward the creek.

"It's over there," whispered Mousepelt. "Let's go get it!" All the cats started off in that direction, except for Sparrowpaw.

"Well, aren't you coming?" demanded a new voice.

Lightningstar! thought Fernpaw. He's here too!

"I'll stay here," Sparrowpaw replied evenly. "There might be more of them." Flameclaw narrowed his eyes, but turned away.

As soon as the other cats left, Sparrowpaw bounded toward the bush where Fernpaw was hiding.

"I missed you so much, Sparrowpaw!"

"Sparrowpaw?" he purred. "I've had my assessment. Now I'm Sparrowtalon!"

"That's great!" mewed Fernpaw. Then her mew turned wistful. "I wish I could be a warrior too."

"You will be, soon." meowed Sparrowtalon. "I'm sure of it."

"And Sparrowtalon!" meowed Fernpaw. "Guess what? I'm going to have your kits!"

"That's wonderful!" mewed Sparrowtalon. "We'll be great together!"

"But how am I going to explain who my mate is?" Fernpaw mewed worriedly.

"Hmm..." meowed Sparrowtalon thoughtfully. "Maybe you can find another trustworthy cat to pretend to be their father."

"Okay!" meowed Fernpaw. "I won't be able to tell the kits who their real father is though. Our kits will always have divided loyalties if they know the truth. They won't have a chance to be proud of you."

"It's alright." meowed Sparrowtalon gently. "They'll make it through. And so will you." Fernpaw nodded.

"Fernpaw!" came a distant call. "Where are you?"

"Willowpaw!" meowed Fernpaw, her eyes wide.

"I'm coming!" she answered.

"I've got to go," she mewed to Sparrowtalon softly.

"I wish I could be with you forever," he murmured. "Why can't I go to your Clan?"

"You can't!" mewed Fernpaw. "The...the warrior code!" she stammered.

"Well...think about it," he meowed. "You should go now."

Fernpaw nodded and bounded away, but not before she gazed lovingly at Sparrowpaw.

"Come back two moons later!" he called.

"Goodbye," she whispered.


No comments:

Post a Comment