Friday, February 17, 2012

HeatherClan Book: Chapter 11

Chapter 11: The Secret

The next day, Willowshine and Fernleaf finished their vigil and went to the warriors den to rest.

The other warriors had already left to hunt when Fernleaf meowed quietly, "Willowshine, I need to tell you something."

Willowshine had never seen Fernleaf look so troubled.

"What is it?" she asked.

"I've been meeting Sparrowtalon in secret and I'm now carring his kits!"

"What?!" Willowshine exclaimed.

She had noticed that Fernleaf's belly was a little bigger than usual, but she had just assumed Fernleaf was just eating too much.

She lowered her voice. "But he's from another Clan!"

"I know!" meowed Fernleaf despairingly. "But I love him!"

"I can't stop you from having your kits, but we need to find a trustworthy cat to pretend to be their father." meowed Willowshine. "How about Crookedpaw?"

"But Crookedpaw likes you!" protested Fernleaf. "Graypaw would be better."

"Well...Graypaw's nice too," agreed Willowshine. "We just have to ask him, but that won't be a problem. I think he likes you already!"

At this, Fernleaf turned red.

Then a voice came from the clearing outside the den.

"Why are you gossiping the whole day away?" meowed Swanfeather from outside the den. "Come on! You're warriors now, and we need more border patrols!"

Later...

"Graypaw, I need your help," begged Fernleaf when she found him in front of some ferns eating a magpie. He looked surprised.

Why would a warrior need my help? he thought. Even if she's only been one for less than a day?

"What do you need help with?" he asked.

Hurriedly, Fernleaf told him all about Sparrowtalon and her kits.

I would be happy to help," agreed Grawpaw. "But on one condition. I need to tell Silverstar."

"Oh..." Fernpaw looked away.

"Oh, okay, I won't tell her," meowed Graypaw hurriedly. "But I'll only help after I've become a warrior. You can't mate with an apprentice! But that's fine. I had my assessment today! Brackenfur told me I passed it!"

"That's great!" mewed Fernleaf. She nuzzled him. "Thanks!"

Fernleaf padded away happily to meet Spottedpelt.

Neither Fernleaf nor Graypaw noticed another cat slip away from the ferns behind them.

Fernleaf walked into the the medicine cat den and saw Spottedpelt busy sorting herbs.

"Kits!" she was muttering. "Why did they have to choose to come into my den and mess up all these herbs?"

Then Spottedleaf noticed Fernleaf.

"Spottedleaf, may I talk to you for a moment?" Fernleaf asked.

"What is it?" meowed Spottedpelt.

"If you haven't noticed, I am carrying kits."

"I have noticed but I tried to ignore the fact that you have only been a warrior for one day and you are already mating!" meowed Spottedpelt with an amused purr. "Who is the father?" she asked politely.

"Graypaw," Fernleaf replied quietly.

"Very well, I shall inform Silverstar and Goldenfur," meowed Spottedpelt.

Suddenly, Fernleaf heard Silverstar yowl,"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey come and join me at the Highrock for a Clan meeting!" She padded out of the medicine cat den and into the clearing. There, she was met by Willowshine and Graypaw.

"Did it work?" asked Willowshine.

"Yes," replied Fernleaf, her eyes shining.

"Quit worrying about Sparrowtalon," mewed Graypaw crossly. "I'm about to become a warrior!"

Sure enough, Silverstar meowed, "Graypaw, please step forward. It is time for you to become a warrior."

Graypaw padded next to Silverstar, his head held high as Silverstar pronounced the ritual words.

"I, Silverstar, leader of HeatherClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. He has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend him to you as a warrior in their turn." Silverstar fixed her eyes on Graypaw. "Graypaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to defend this Clan, even at the cost of your lives?"

"I do," meowed Graypaw.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Graypaw, from this moment you will be known as Graynose. StarClan honors your thoughtfulness and your determination, and we welcome you as a full warrior of HeatherClan."

When she finished speaking, Silverstar stepped up to to Graynose and rested her muzzle on his bowed head.

He licked her shoulder respectfully, and then walked over to stand by Fernleaf and Willowshine.

Fernleaf nuzzled him gently, and the other cats raised their voices to chant the new warrior's name.

"Graynose! Graynose!"

He purred proudly at them, but out of the corner of his eye, he saw one cat that wasn't cheering.

Instead, Berrypaw slinked back into the apprentices den, jealousy seeping from him, but was covered by the scent of the other cheering cats...

No comments:

Post a Comment