Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Isabel's Journal: 1-4-16 to 1-8-16

January 4, 1916

Today I have met someone that shares our tenement.  Her name is Abbey, and her whole family is living in a couple small rooms!  Abbey became my friend instantly.  She invited me to her room, and after receiving Da’s permission, I accepted.  We talked for a bit, and I learned that she has two brothers and a grandfather.  I told her that I have a cat, and that her name is Ivyheart.  Soon, it was time to eat dinner.  Abbey’s mother persuaded me to stay for dinner. We had a meal of hot beef stew.  After dinner, I helped wash the dinner dishes, because I had used them, too.  I talked to Abbey as we did the dishes.  I told her that I was going to work at my job for the first time tomorrow.  She said that she had a job too!  Abbey said that she was glad that she could help her family earn money.  She sounded so happy.  I told her that I was sure she would do great at her job.

January 5, 1916

Today I am working at Janah Seams for the first time!  The owners, Lillian and Ivy, are rich women, but they is cheerful and nice.  I do not have time to write much, for there are many customers at Janah Seams.  Here come a few now!  I must stop writing.

January 6, 1916

Ivy has told me that I am one of her best workers!  Sometimes, before I leave, she presses an extra shilling into my hand.  I am very grateful to her.  I have already bought a new tablecloth.  Maybe I will buy a present for her birthday, though I shall have to find out when it is.

January 7, 1916

I have found out that Ivy’s birthday is May 27.  I have also made friends with with some of the workers.  There are a couple girls- Annie, Ella, Lucy, and Grace.  There are more women- Edna, Irene, Martha, Louisa, Julia, Laura, and Beatrice.  Beatrice is the one who always yells at us.  She hits us when we talk, and she has Julia and Louisa for backup.  Julia and Louisa always follow Beatrice’s every word.  No wonder Janah Seams is always deathly quiet.  Well, I learned soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment