Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Isabel's Journal: 11-29-15 to 12-1-15

At school, we did a project on immigrants, and I chose the name Isabel Cooke.  My class all wrote a writing piece on their "immigrant" life.  This diary goes with the Photo Album.  I hope you enjoy it.

This is the diary of Isabel Cooke:

November 29, 1915

I have just been notified that I, Isabel Cooke, am going to be sent to America!  My family, Ma, Annie, and Annette, have been saving up money for me to go, though they are simple shoeshiners that barely scrape a living.  Ma is very sick, but we have no money to help her.  I fear the worst.  I have begged Annie and Annette to come with me, but they do not have enough money.  They also have to take care of Ma.  I am very sad, but when I get to America, I shall try...... no, I shall make enough money for my family to come to America.  I shall have to be saying my goodbye’s, for I may not be able to meet my friends again.  There will be much weeping, I am sure of that.

November 30, 1915

They say that America is the land of milk and honey, and the streets are paved with gold, but my Da, who is already in America, says this is not so.  I am arranged to meet him when The Hopeland reaches America.  I am boarding The Hopeland from Bridgewater, Europe, to New York, America.  I am leaving because the town we are living in has fallen into great disrepair.  ‘Tis all I can do to keep the tears from pouring from my eyes.  I shall be packing my dearest possessions in a small trunk, for I can only bring so many things.  I have decided to bring clothes, a handkerchief, a photo album, this journal, a pen, some ink, a small toy glass suitcase which was my favorite, Ma’s prized bracelet, and some of her best beef jerky and rice cakes.  I am also bringing the tortoiseshell house cat, Ivyheart, secretly, for I fear cats are not allowed on The Hopeland.  I am departing tomorrow.  My sisters will be accompanying me to my port of departure on Da’s swiftest stallions.

No comments:

Post a Comment