Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Isabel's Journal: 1-8-16 to 1-21-16

January 8, 1916

Abbey is starting to teach me how to read and write better.  She commented that I am a fast learner.  She says that I might be a book writer soon.  I am very happy to have her praise.  Abbey has lent me her reader to go over. She has also shown my father and I where to get the best produce, meat and bread for the littlest amount of money.  Before I leave, I put a shilling on the table, and hope that she will find it.  Abbey wants to come to my tenement.  She wants to help us tidy up our apartment, for when she cleaned up hers, there were six people helping, but for us, alas, there are only two! Abbey says that I am lucky there are only two people in our tenement though, for I get my own bed!

January 13, 1916

There has been horrid news.  Abbey has lost her job!  She is eleven, but only children above fourteen years of age can work.  I reassure Abbey and tell her that, because of her talent, she would find a new job soon.  Still, Abbey is so sad.  I, myself, fear that her family will suffer, for Abbey’s job was the highest-paying job her family had.  I tell Abbey that I heard about some elderly ladies discussing the fact that about ten more Canadian families will be moving in, and that some people will have to share rooms.

January 17, 1916

Today Da and I are moving in with Abbey!  We get to keep one of our mattresses, and I’ll be sleeping with Abbey!  Now we’ll be able to spend much more time with her.  I hear that Abbey’s mother knows many fancy and delicious Nova Scotian recipes.

January 20, 1916

Today Abbey got a new job!  I am so happy for her!  Also, she taught me a new song- Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor by Emma Lazarus.  Here are the words:

Give me your tired, your poor
Your huddling masses yearning to breathe free
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore
Send these, the homeless tempest-tossed to me
I lift my golden lamp besides the golden door.

I think that ‘tis a very beautiful song.  Abbey tells me that the words are even on Lady Liberty!

No comments:

Post a Comment