Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Isabel's Journal: 1-21-16 to 4-20-16

January 21, 1916

I feel cold .  I have caught a fever.  I hope I get better soon.  I cannot write m...

January 23, 1916

My fever has passed.  I am grateful.  Abbey has visited me, but I can only vaguely remember.  I must rest now.  Da will not let me write more.

January 30, 1916


Today was the first day of school!  The teacher walks up and down the aisles with a ruler, and if a child is fidgety, talking, or not paying attention, she slaps the ruler on your hand to make you pay attention.
I don’t think this is right, but I do not want to argue with the teacher.
February 2, 1916

Nothing worthy of writing has happened in our tenement.  Abbey has made a few more trips to Janah Seams for material to make a new hat for  Mattias, her brother, and I.  Issac, her other brother, went and bought a hat with his newspaper money.  Abbey is also buying material to make a pair of dresses for us. She will use the excess material as ribbons to tie our hair up.  ‘Tis very cold, and our lousy tenement shows the bad state ‘tis in.  Abbey’s Ma is trying to keep us children warm at night, but ‘tis very hard.  I hope we shall not freeze to death!  I shall write a letter to Ma.
April 15, 1916

I know it has been almost three months from when I last wrote in my journal, and this is it’s sad story:  Janah Seams has many customers, as I have mentioned before.  Lillian, Ivy, the other weavers, and I have served customer after customer.  Lillian plopped a huge pile of work right on top of my diary, and I did not notice.  It was not until I finished all of the work did I find my poor journal.  Even then, Lillian put some more work on my journal, but I noticed that time.  I have truly spent a lot of time looking for my journal, but I never found it.  I must write more in my journal now, to fill in for the lost days.

No comments:

Post a Comment