Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Isabel's Journal: 12-27-15 to 1-2-16

December 27, 1915

Mrs. Brooke has fallen terribly ill.  The children and I are all very worried.  Even the usually excited pets, Ivyheart and Goldenblaze, are very quiet.  Ivyheart is curled into a ball on Mrs. Brooke’s stomach.  I can hear Goldenblaze whimpering softly.  I shall do everything I can do to help her make it to America!

December 31, 1915

Mrs. Brooke is well, due to me and Sam’s special care.  And just in time!  Tomorrow we shall be docking at Ellis Island!  The children are very excited, but their mother is still in a fragile condition.  We shall have a feast tonight, to celebrate Mrs. Brooke’s recover and the sighting of Ellis Island!  I must stop writing now, for I am going to give the children the food I’ve been saving up for today!  It shall be a grand feast!

Janurary 1, 1916

We have arrived at Ellis Island!  The statue of Lady Liberty welcomed us.  The children, Mrs. Brooke, and I have been herded into a large room with thousands of people.  I heard that we are going to be examined for any sicknesses, and if we are sick, we are to be sent back to where we came from.  ‘Tis just too horrible to think about!  I must stop writing now, because we are about to be examined!  I hope I pass!

Later...

I have made it out of the examination room, but ‘tis due to Mrs. Brooke’s quick thinking.  When I left the ship, some lint flew into my eye, causing eye redness.  The doctors thought I had eye disease, so they chalked a white “E” on my jacket.  Mrs. Brooke turned so white.  Then she seemed to control herself and told me to turn my jacket inside out.  Thankfully, after that, I didn’t have to undergo any other examinations.  I can’t believe we passed through Ellis Island!

No comments:

Post a Comment