Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Isabel's Journal: 1-2-16 to 1-4-16

January 2, 1916

Today, I had to say goodbye to Mrs. Brooke and her children.  ‘Twas a very sad moment indeed.  We had our last meal together: an American breakfast.  We drank a bitter drink called “cofe” and ate something called “hotcakes”.   We were so happy we could finally eat all that we wanted!  Secretly, Mrs. Brooke advised me to save some of the food.  She said that the tenements that we shall live in will not provide food like this, and that I would have to work for money to pay for the food.  I reminded her that my Da is already living in America, and that he would have money.  Still, I took some of the delicious hotcakes and wrapped them in my handkerchief.  I can’t believe I have finally walked on American grounds.  When I look outside, I notice that the streets are not paved with gold, and everywhere I look, there are beggars in tattered clothes living by the road.  There isn’t even a drop of honey in sight!  There are people everywhere I look.  The tenements are all beat up.  I can’t imagine living in one of them!  I must stop writing now, for I think I have spotted my Da.

Later...

Da has showed me to our tenement.  It is dark and cramped, and there isn’t a window in sight!  Da says that we are lucky to have three rooms: a kitchen, a bedroom, and a bathroom.  Most people only have a kitchen and a bedroom.  Da shall prepare a feast of chicken soup.  I shall show him my hotcakes and we shall eat those too.  While we eat, I am sure Da shall tell me about life in America, and I shall give him Ma’s bracelet.  I hope I can find a job soon.  I am already sick of living in the dark, cramped place.

Later...

Da has brought me gifts!  He gave me a hair pin, a bracelet, a room key, and some crystals he found while tending the crops at the plantation he works at.  He believes that they might be worth a little something.  He also gave me an old jade Buddha he traded from a Chinese man at the plantation for doing his work for him.  I couldn’t stop thanking him.  Now, Da is going to take me out to the market to teach me the new type of money here.  He is already calling for me.  I wonder how many more surprises lie in wait...

January 3, 1916

Today I have found a new job!  I saw a sign that said: “We need people that can sew at Janah Seams!”  I found my way there and filled out a couple papers.  Then I talked with Lillian Janah, the boss, about the things I can do.  And suddenly, I had a job!  Da was delighted.  He worked at a farm very near Janah Seams, so he could visit me when he had a break.  He said that he would take out to buy some food today.  I just cannot wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment